Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What The Hell

I tried Bikram Yoga for the very first time yesterday.  I'm going to be completely raw and honest, so here it goes....

I rushed to the Yoga Studio after work.  As I drove there, I couldn't quite place my emotions.  I was nervous, scared and excited.   I was nervous because I had mentally prepared myself to be one of the only chubby bunnies in the class.   Well, I was kinda right.  I walked in about 3 minutes late, which is a big no-no in Yoga.  The instructor was a friendly and flamboyant guy in his mid 30s.  He had a sort of energy that exuded from within.   He was clothed in yoga micro-mini shorts, which initially made me a bit uncomfortable, only to realize that it was me who was overdressed.  I wore shorts to class, nobody told me that there was an unwritten dress code that marked bathing suits as acceptable.  Now I know.

So let's get to the good part.  The Class.  It was 90 minutes of sheer torture...yes, torture.  The heat was excruciating.  If hell is a place, then I know how it feels.  The first 20 minutes of the class were bearable.  At times I caught myself proudly half-assing the yoga poses, "I can do this", I thought to myself.  Somewhere around the 40-60 minute mark, I decided I was dying.  I really thought I was going to start hyperventilating. Just imagine, 48 people in a 105 degree room.  My oxygen supply was on low, I was surely convinced.   Just when I thought I couldn't go on, the instructor tells us to lay down: dead body pose.  The name seemed all too appropriate, a sort of premonition.  My body was slowly dying, giving out.....  He then stated, "the hard part is over, relax".   I couldn't believe I had survived 60 minutes in this cave of human humidity....I was dripping wet, or dripping sweat I should say.  It was ridiculous.  I actually formed a circle of sweat around me which my towel had absorbed into a damp mess.  The class ended around the 93 minute mark, not that I was counting but hey, didn't they say it was a 90 minute class!!  On my drive home I tried to convince myself that the class was not at all that great.  It was kind of like a sauna with yoga.  I was too busy trying to overcome heat exhaustion to notice any strain in my limbs.

I got home, fixed myself a turkey, tomato, onion, spinach, avocado sandwich (340 calories).   I was beat.  I also felt strange, almost emotional.

I lay in bed peacefully and something came over me, a wave of sadness, joy, anger... I couldn't tell.  I shed a few tears and dozed off into sleep.  Why?  I still don't know.

I awoke refreshed and triumphant.  I did it!! I conquered a 90 minute hot yoga class!  I will be back to that hell hole, that doubles as studio tomorrow.  I think I liked it.  I'm still trying to figure it out.  :)


FOOD
I always overestimate the calories I consume, just to stay on the safe side
I'm pretty sure I did not consume 195 calories worth of dressing but better safe than sorry.




If you've ever tried hot yoga I would LOVE to hear about your experience.


1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! Very well written, so entertaining! I hope your next go around isn't as torturous! Looking forward to that update!

    ReplyDelete

Hey There,

I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback regarding my posts. Are there any particular types of posts that you prefer? Do you want to know more about me? Any comments are welcomed, encouraged and above all appreciated!

:)

My Twenties Made Me Fat